Sunday 18 August 2013

New Blankets, New neonatal unit and replacement blood

It was with great excitement that we got new blankets for all our patients in Maternity.
This hospital is built for the summer so now in the chilly months the patients are so grateful to be able to snuggle down with their babies and keep warm.
This little newborn snuggled close to its Mum (Kangaroo Care) and having a jolly good feed.
Mum and baby nice and warm.

2 Lovely medical technology students have spent the last month with us, fixing and calibrating all our equipment. It is such a blessing to have them as it is very hard to get things repaired and calibrated here in Tanzania. They also took on the job of transforming a little room we had  in anticipation of it being used as a neonatal unit. They painted , made curtains, tidied and sorted as and we are so very grateful

We felt the crosses on the curtains very appropriate for a Lutheran mission hospital

Nothing like coming to Arusha on holiday to see your family and the crazy midwife friend phoning to beg you to give blood. David brother of my friend Andrew here, is rhesus blood group. We were needing negative blood for a lady who had been on the ward about a week but had now become more critical and she was really needing blood.
So bless David, he came to donate, supported by his brother and nephew he came to donate before setting off on his safari!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie,
    Looks like you're doing a great job!
    I came across your blog when researching midwifery jobs in Arusha.
    I couldn't find an email address so thought this would be the best way to contact you.
    I am a 3rd year midwifery student studying in Edinburgh, UK (I finish in 3 weeks!) and was in Arusha working in Mount Meru for my elective placement in March/April. I would love to start my career in Africa and have been trying to get some more information about coming back to Arusha.
    I would really appreciate it if you could send me an email and tell me about the midwifery life in Tanzania and any other information you might have on getting a job there etc.

    My email address is aimee.j.cowan@gmail.com
    Thank you!

    Aimee Cowan

    ReplyDelete